This next project was really a culmination of three things:
Next, using my Ryobi Brad Nailer, I connected the 1x2's to the platform I put together. I used 1-1/2 inch brad nails. I could have gotten away with smaller ones though.
Once the box was put together I stained it Rust Oleum Kona.
I then painted a rough coat of Rust Oleum Aged Linen Chalk Paint on it. I have to admit I almost regretted this step as the Kona stain gave it such a beautiful color. Once the chalk paint dried, which it does very quickly, I took a sanding block over the whole thing to smooth it out and give it a distressed look. I finished with a quick coat of satin finish polyurethane.
I finished it off with vintage looking handles I found at Hobby Lobby.
Super easy and quick...Took about an hour to complete this. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy all the decorating options this gives me. And I think Brett may too...He's actually the one who put this setup together as I was debating a few things!