So, I did it...I built myself a table. In the process I learned all about how important good screws are, how important it is to measure and how to remain flexible throughout the build!
However, my first night working on it ended like this...
After stripping my 30th screw...I'm not exaggerating...30 screws! And when you strip screws you have to manually remove them with pliers...
I was at my limit and resorted to wine! And called it a night!
Prior to that, I had cut 2x2s into four 24" pieces and four 6-3/16" pieces. I arranged them into rectangles with the smaller pieces in the inside like is:
So, after I made a trip to my neighborhood Home Depot and discovered that I was using crap screws, I came home with the best! It didn't cost me much more and the difference that it made was incredible. It was like butter, just like the guy at Home Depot said! Plus, these type of screws naturally countersink...countersink? Yes, I now know what that means! To countersink your screws means to make them flush with the board.
Lesson: Buy good screws! Don't scrimp!
Prior to screwing my pieces together I added some wood glue to make sure to connection was sealed tight.
These screws were perfect as they were self counter-sinking screws - hiding the screw from view.
Here we did a mid-plan alteration and decided to create a 1" overhang on the two ends. So we made a couple measurements and cut four more 2x2 to 18". These will connect our "legs", creating a cube.
Again, we did a mid-plan alteration and raised the bottom connectors up 2" like this.
So, now it's time to put on the top. I added wood glue all around the edge and used a total of eight screws to attach the top. To hide the screws I screwed from the bottom up using the same 2-1/2" screws as I've used through the whole project.
Ta-Da! Almost...once we flipped it over to admire our work we realized that one leg was 1/16" of an inch short so it wobbled! To Goggle we went! I corrected this by adding a layer of glue. Not great, but another lesson learned!
Lesson: measure, measure, measure - I feel like I've learned this lesson before!
Let's finish this table!
As I'm looking at the table all I keep seeing are all the different variations you can do...You can raise the bottom connectors, add a lower shelf, do more of an overhang with the too, make it longer...so many things!
And let's not get started on paint options! You can stain, paint, distress, use milk paint, chalk paint...Like I said, so many options.
Once I sanded everything down, I decided to stain the top Rust Oleum Kona. I painted the legs a neutral cream color. I used a distressing technique that I saw from the Shanty-2-Chic ladies using Vaseline.
So once I stained the top I added stain to several edges of the legs.
Once this dried, I rubbed a thin layer of Vaseline on those edges and then proceeded to paint all of the legs a neutral cream color. I had to add three coats of this to really cover the stain underneath.
When the paint dried I took a sanding pad and lightly sanded the areas where I put the Vaseline. The Vaseline prevented the paint from sticking to the areas so the paint easily wiped away leaving the stain to come through. This gave the piece a really cool distressed look with very little effort!
The final step was to add polyurethane to top. Since this will be a table in our bathroom that I'll want to wipe easily I added three coats of this to give it a really smooth surface.
Table done! And I love it! Now to keep the little ones from playing around with it!