When I started my woodworking adventure my goal was to make my 2 1/2 year old son a "big boy" bed in the spring. I figured that I would need a good 6 months to get comfortable with tools and gain the confidence needed to start this project.
I'm now 2 months in and said, "Forget it! I'm doing it now!" I found a really great, super easy plan from Ana White. (I'm super obsessed with pretty much everything that she does! Check her out...You'll become a groupie too!)
She put together this plan based on a bed that one of the sisters at Shanty-2-Chic put together - another site that I'm pretty much obsessed with!
Here's my platform bed frame. I hope to have the headboard done in the next couple of weeks. Guys, total bill on the frame: $70! It would have been less than $50 but I used higher end wood on parts of it to get a smoother finish.
Here is the inspiration which would have cost me at least $500:
So let's begin!
This project started with me at Lowe's at 8pm on a Friday night. I finally purchased a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig. This has been on my wish list since the beginning but it frightened me a bit! I ended up going with the R3 which was about $40 versus the R4 which is closer to $125. A random man at Lowe's talked me into the R3 because of its versatility, mobility and the lower price point. This is the best purchase I have made since started my DIY journey...well, second best, after higher end screws!
The first night ended as most of my first nights do! Wine? Yes, please...
I was up at it early the next day. My husband took our toddler to Costco and our baby was sleeping so I was able to make all of my cuts without interruption! This is a glorious thing!
Next I put together the base of the frame using 2x6's and my new Kreg Jig! After watching a couple of YouTube videos and reading the manual I was fairly confident I could do it correctly. Let me tell you, this was super easy to use and I was quickly becoming the Pocket Hole Queen! I will be using this is every project that I do from now on!
Adjust according to your wood depth, clamp and drill! It's that easy!
Pocket Holes! Super easy and so clean looking. Not seeing my screws!
Once my base was built I dropped a 2x2 @ 75' down on each side 1-1/4". This creates the ledge which the slats will rest on. To connect I used wood glue and 2-1/2" screws. Next I added a 2x4 down the middle of the frame for added support.
The next step was to construct the top of the platform bed. Since I was using my new Kreg Jig, I constructed this seperately and then attached it to the base of my frame. I also used poplar for this, a higher quality wood. I chose to do this because I wanted to really ensure (1) a smooth finish since little fingers would be grabbing it and (2) I have found that it's easier to get straight boards then the lower priced lumber. But it is 3x the price of the stock pine so it added another $25 to the overall price.
From here it was a matter of attaching the top to the bottom. I used wood glue and self-countersinking trim screws. Using my clamps also helped keep everything in place as I attached it.
Final step was to add the legs. I used 2x4's @ 7" and cut them at a 10-ish degree. The "ish" is because I don't have a miter saw so I used my square to mark my lines and eyeballed it as I ran it through my Blade Runner! The cuts are neither straight or at a perfect 10 degrees! But who can tell?!?
I attached these with wood glue and 2-1/2" wood screws.
And there she is! End of Day One and I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking! Tomorrow we sand and stain!
First thing on Day Two I cut my remaining 1x3's to 53-1/2" to make up the slats...admittedly, I got a little "slat-happy!"
So, after sanding and sanding - filling in any holes with wood filler...and sanding some more, it was ready for stain. After I used a wood conditioner I put on one coat of Rust Oleum Kona and finished it with two coats of polyerethane.
LESSON: Watch where your ponytail lands as stain is not, I repeat NOT, easy to get out if it falls into the can of stain!
So pumped to get this up in his room!
And I'm not the only one!
Next up, the headboard...Hopefully, this will be done in the next couple of weeks!